In follow up to last week’s post on shin splints, let’s look at what Physical Therapists do to help resolve shin pain.
- Evaluate the contributing factors such as:
- muscle imbalances
- training patterns
- how your footwear matches your foot type and sport
- Treat the causes, including:
- modalities to decrease inflammation
- hands on techniques to decrease scar tissue
- possible recommendation for change in footwear or orthotics
- exercises to treat muscle imbalances identified
- working with you on how you perform your skill (i.e. running analysis)
- Work with you on appropriate training progressions
If a Physical Therapist thinks the cause may require further evaluation by an MD, your PT will work with you on identifying a provider that would be helpful in your specific situation/sport.